Feature Requests

Feature, docs and use-case samples requests for ServiceStack. If you can, focus on the end-user benefit / use-case, rather than the technical details so we can focus on the end-goal and free us to work on how best to achieve it. Features can also include supporting content, e.g. a starter project on how to use ServiceStack with another product (e.g. SS + SharePoint).

1. Support Private Constructors in ServiceStack.Text

When creating immutable objects, it's common to not have a default constructor. ServiceStack.Text supports this presently with the use of FormatterServices.GetUnitializedObject. However, GetUnitializedObject does not do any field initialization. The DataContractSerializer works around this with support of the OnDeserialized attribute; but why would we want to write the initialization code twice? Instead, We should change ServiceStack.Text to fall back to private constructors. Here is some proposed code.

public static ConstructorInfo GetEmptyConstructor(this Type type)

{

if NETFX_CORE

return type.GetTypeInfo().DeclaredConstructors.FirstOrDefault(c => c.GetParameters().Count() == 0);

else

var ret = type.GetConstructor(Type.EmptyTypes);

if (ret != null) return ret;

// attempt to use constructors with all…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enhance ServiceStack Razor page lookup options

I have a custom basic CMS I put together (work in progress) for some of my clients that allows developers to build CMS plugins that auto-install on application startup. The plugins can deploy both content pages and view pages (and use ServiceStack plugins and CMS plugin interfaces to configure, and add capabilities to the CMS at startup), similar to how NopCommerce and Orchard work.

Currently, I have to rely on view pages to be unique, but I would like to be able to modify the lookup algorithm to take advantage of paths to the razor/markdown pages in the Views folder,…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. High Availability Pattern

I'm dubious about whether to suggest this, but something that enabled easier high availability for a SS Service would be great. This would maybe be more like a recipe than a feature, but possibly with features to help support it.

E.g.
    We run a ServiceStack API Service which depends on redis and postgres, each with replication to secondary nodes which are readonly until we manually execute a failover command. Running multiple ServiceStacks on VPSs (or whatever) is easy, but having them co-ordinate is slightly trickier. So the type of thing I'm suggesting would include

• Digital Ocean recipe for running up…
    4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Management Overview Dashboard

While being able to offload to statsd/graphite/raygun/... is great, a "state of the nation" dashboard would be really handy.

This could show requests/sec, wait times, "slow" requests, auth failures, live access map, recent exceptions, known issues (e.g. can't connect to redisX/mssqlY)

232 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. API Explorer/Meta data enhancements

Building upon swagger feature, (but possibly re-engineering)

Support to include:
    - complex (nested) DTO's and array
    - markdown documentation (for detailed description)
    - role/access based display (so only authorised endpoints are displayed)
    - rebranding support
    - ability to install nuget package without /docs folder (so as to get annotations, but not html in a model lib)

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add MQ Fallback on Service Clients for one-way requests

If a remote remote HTTP Service is unavailable add optional fallback functionality to an MQ endpoint for automated resilience/recovery.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add ServiceStack + SharePoint example

Create a starter template showing how to use ServiceStack + SharePoint together.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests

Categories